The 13th Guards Rifle division is one of those heroic Soviet units that you learn about after doing some reading about the battle of Stalingrad. 13th Guards commander General Rodimtsev They suffered almost 100% casualties and were present throughout key moments of the struggle: when the Germans entered the City, the fighting at Pavlov's House off January Square, the central height of Mamaev Kurgan, Operation Hubertus, the factories, etc. They of course make an appearance in my first Stalingrad scenario about Operation Hubertus. What's left of them (about 500 men) is clustered in fortified positions at the southernmost end of the 62nd Army's Volga river defense line. As part of the 13th Guards, I've also included Yakov Pavlov's small reinforced command and the apartment building that he held with his men in this scenario as well. The stats for Pavlov's men are above (I need to add in their anti-armour weapons (14.5mm anti-tank rifles). I am st...
The tip of the spear for 11th Army is the Romanian 1st Armored Division! Against the wishes of some within the German High Command, I made a strategic decision to give the Romanians a seat at the table for the opening of the Barbarossa offensive. We will see what the long term implications are, but in the short term I am relying on them to help the 11th Army drive on Odessa. I will be blogging periodically about Barbarossa for the next few weeks. I am super excited about this game and I can't wait to see if I can get to Moscow by winter!
Across the Tartar Ditch is a new scenario I am finishing up about the fight for the Perekop isthmus, a crucial approach to the port city of Sevastopol on the Black Sea. The scenario, set in September of 1941, is 2 days and 15 hours long. LIV Corps of the German 11th Army is matched up against the Soviet 51st army. The build of this scenario is almost complete. I still need to finish adding Soviet units as well as 1-2 additional German infantry battalions. This morning I play-tested it for the first time and ended up with a marginal defeat as the German player. I actually had the upper hand for much of the battle but I didn't push as aggressively as I should have on Day 2 and was unable to complete the capture of three of the five terrain objectives. I am also using Snagit for the first time. So far I like it for these blogs as it is always hard to understand what is going on based on a screenshot. Day 1 attacks by the 73rd Inf division's 170th a...
Comments
I still need to finish my Vimeiro Les Grognards battle. Its a good sized battle and the terrain makes your troop placement and maneuver interesting.