Command Ops "What-If" Scenario - "Red Devils Over Arnhem" Available for Download

What if the full 1st Airborne Division dropped within hours of each other on the north side of the river? 
I have explored "what-if" scenarios before with 1st Airborne at Arnhem and this alternate scenario is a new variation:  What if the full division dropped on Day 1?

This scenario moves 4th Brigade's drop to the first day and switches the Polish drop to the first day and places them with their division on the correct side of the river.  Find out what it have been like for Urqhardt to have had two more brigades at his control and the divisions full complement of artillery.

In the screenshot above I have:

Sent Frost's 2nd Battalion along the Lion Route (river road) to the bridge. 

I've ordered the full 1st Airlanding brigade to move into the city center and take the bridge objective along the Ede-Arnhem highway.

I've assigned 1 and 3 Para Battalions as defense against counterattacks from Wageningen.

I've assigned the Polish 1st Brigade the defense of the resupply points on Renkum Heath and north of Wolhezen.

And finally I've directed Hackett's 4th Brigade to seize the railway bridge west of the Arnhem highway bridge.  A prelude for an attack on the southern end of the road bridge.

Is this enough to reverse history?  Did Arnhem really come down to the mis-allocation of transport planes?  Try for yourself by downloading the revised Allies historical schedule.

 

Comments

Unknown said…
An interesting proposition. Taking and holding Arnhem will certainly be easier.

I've always found the position of the drops to be an element of difficulty. Keeping the supply drops safe is a constant hassle. I'm guessing that with all of the forces immediately at your disposal it will definitely be more managable.
Chris said…
Hi Bert. So far, things are progressing nicely. Keep an eye out for a follow-up post!
Anonymous said…
@Chris
I have played Marjet Garden from tabletop to John Tiller's and I must say that the choice of drop-zones (and hence supply zones) is crucial. My favourite was actually dropping some guys south of Arnhem and attacking the bridge from both ends. Plus it gave me chance to secure good landing sites for next waves.
I like the scenario. I wish I had time to play it :)
Chris Ad
Chris said…
HI Chris. I hope you get a chance. Having the full drop makes a big difference early. I tried a Pole day 1 drop south of the bridge scenario once and still got chewed up.

Popular posts from this blog

John Tiller's Campaign Series - Buy It Now

Maxwell's Marauders: Find the Observation Post

Edson's Ridge