Amateur wargaming and random thoughts on military history.
The Liberation of Taganrog
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
A new scenario under development.
The Sixth Army is withdrawing behind the Mius River line under pressure. I've been working on this scenario for some time. This is a screen of my first play through of it.
Hi Peter. I am about 80% done. I am playtesting it now and I am researching some post Stalingrad battles along the Donetz.
Michael said…
Any particular reason the fighting around Taganrog came to your attention? It is a little-remembered theater of the war even in Russia.
I came across your blog at random, while doing a nostalgic search for Taganrog. I lived there for three months and have visited plenty of these former battlefields.
Downloading CO2's free version now, in the hopes that it can load your scenarios.
Hi Michael. Wow, thanks for your comment. I have not been to Taganrog. In fact I didn't know it even existed until I read about Soviet defense along the Mius river and the German drive on Rostov in 1941. I looked at the map on Google Earth and thought it was interesting and started to build out my scenarios from there. I also created one for CO1 and for Combat Mission.
If you know of any book that covers the fighting there I would love to read it. Let me know if you have trouble loading up the scenario in CO2 and what you think of the scenario if you get to play it.
Michael said…
I did get your scenario to work, but I'll have to teach myself some CO2 before I play it. This doesn't look like a beginner-friendly wargame, haha!
You're probably done with the scenario for good, but let me know if you want any tips on how the populated areas of the map could be 're-painted' to be more accurate. A good portion of the 'urban' zones would be better described as 'town' or 'village,' which would perhaps make the approach to the city more gradual. There's also some very dramatic topography with impassable slopes and cliffs on the peninsula itself, but this may not be tactically relevant, given the Soviet's avenue of assault. Only thing I can think of is a few defilades and an area of wetland (which was my backyard).
I'm afraid I can't recommend any books; even finding sources in Russian isn't that straightforward. But there is a free John Tiller demo of the Soviets' breakthrough on the Mius Front, featuring a large stretch of terrain to the north of Taganrog.
Actually, you could do a CO2 and Combat Mission: Black Sea double feature at an amazing landmark that was a battlefield in 1943 and last summer. It's a burial mound called Saur-Mogila, basically like a Mamaev Kurgan (of Stalingrad fame) on the steppe. You had the separatists re-excavating old German trenches, and MH17 was shot down from a field within sight of the summit.
The 13th Guards Rifle division is one of those heroic Soviet units that you learn about after doing some reading about the battle of Stalingrad. 13th Guards commander General Rodimtsev They suffered almost 100% casualties and were present throughout key moments of the struggle: when the Germans entered the City, the fighting at Pavlov's House off January Square, the central height of Mamaev Kurgan, Operation Hubertus, the factories, etc. They of course make an appearance in my first Stalingrad scenario about Operation Hubertus. What's left of them (about 500 men) is clustered in fortified positions at the southernmost end of the 62nd Army's Volga river defense line. As part of the 13th Guards, I've also included Yakov Pavlov's small reinforced command and the apartment building that he held with his men in this scenario as well. The stats for Pavlov's men are above (I need to add in their anti-armour weapons (14.5mm anti-tank rifles). I am st...
The tip of the spear for 11th Army is the Romanian 1st Armored Division! Against the wishes of some within the German High Command, I made a strategic decision to give the Romanians a seat at the table for the opening of the Barbarossa offensive. We will see what the long term implications are, but in the short term I am relying on them to help the 11th Army drive on Odessa. I will be blogging periodically about Barbarossa for the next few weeks. I am super excited about this game and I can't wait to see if I can get to Moscow by winter!
Across the Tartar Ditch is a new scenario I am finishing up about the fight for the Perekop isthmus, a crucial approach to the port city of Sevastopol on the Black Sea. The scenario, set in September of 1941, is 2 days and 15 hours long. LIV Corps of the German 11th Army is matched up against the Soviet 51st army. The build of this scenario is almost complete. I still need to finish adding Soviet units as well as 1-2 additional German infantry battalions. This morning I play-tested it for the first time and ended up with a marginal defeat as the German player. I actually had the upper hand for much of the battle but I didn't push as aggressively as I should have on Day 2 and was unable to complete the capture of three of the five terrain objectives. I am also using Snagit for the first time. So far I like it for these blogs as it is always hard to understand what is going on based on a screenshot. Day 1 attacks by the 73rd Inf division's 170th a...
Comments
I came across your blog at random, while doing a nostalgic search for Taganrog. I lived there for three months and have visited plenty of these former battlefields.
Downloading CO2's free version now, in the hopes that it can load your scenarios.
If you know of any book that covers the fighting there I would love to read it. Let me know if you have trouble loading up the scenario in CO2 and what you think of the scenario if you get to play it.
You're probably done with the scenario for good, but let me know if you want any tips on how the populated areas of the map could be 're-painted' to be more accurate. A good portion of the 'urban' zones would be better described as 'town' or 'village,' which would perhaps make the approach to the city more gradual. There's also some very dramatic topography with impassable slopes and cliffs on the peninsula itself, but this may not be tactically relevant, given the Soviet's avenue of assault. Only thing I can think of is a few defilades and an area of wetland (which was my backyard).
I'm afraid I can't recommend any books; even finding sources in Russian isn't that straightforward. But there is a free John Tiller demo of the Soviets' breakthrough on the Mius Front, featuring a large stretch of terrain to the north of Taganrog.
Actually, you could do a CO2 and Combat Mission: Black Sea double feature at an amazing landmark that was a battlefield in 1943 and last summer. It's a burial mound called Saur-Mogila, basically like a Mamaev Kurgan (of Stalingrad fame) on the steppe. You had the separatists re-excavating old German trenches, and MH17 was shot down from a field within sight of the summit.