EFCO Platoons: Charge of the Pioneers Is Available For Download
|German soldiers advancing through Stalingrad.|
As the German commander you are in control of a reinforced battalion, comprised of German Pioneers and infantry as well as two StuG III platoons.
As the Soviet commander you are in control of the remnants of two Soviet Rifle regiments, supported by static T-34 tanks and some static Workers militia sections that are still holding portions of the Red October and Lazur factories.
You can download the game folder here: http://bit.ly/1ph2QzM
A few thoughts about the game:
- The map is a trace of a Google Earth shot of the battlefield. The location of buildings isn't 100% based on their 1942 positions, as things have been rebuilt, but the scale is right and the Red October and Lazur factories are still there where they stood over 70 years ago.
- This is my equivalent of an alpha run through of a game. I am the only one that's played it and I am sure there are things that need to be tweaked.
- The battle gets ugly quickly. Time seems to flow much faster than a normal CO game as the distances these units need to cover is slight. Ten hours of fighting at this scale is a long time and a lot can happen.
- I think that the reinforcement schedule needs work. With so much happening so fast, it would be interesting to have the same amount of reinforcements arrive in a more staggered schedule. A HMG section or a platoon's arrival can have a definite impact.
- From their observation posts on Hill 102 (Mamaev Kurgan), the Germans have pinpointed every Soviet formation. The intelligence display reflects this.
- I think the terrain layers hold up well for this scenario but I am tweaking them more for the next Platoon level scenario I am working on set in Sicily.
- I think the unit movement speed is wrong and needs to be tweaked, which is something I am working on.
Anyway I had fun doing this and I hope you have fun playing it. I look forward to the real game coming out at this scale, Legends of the Blitzkrieg, from Panther Games (TBD release date).