Command Ops: "The Lonsdale Force" Scenario Development

Inspired by the fun I had playing Ranger X3X's Burning Metal scenario, I am going to try my hand at creating my own Command Ops scenario.

So far I am finding the editor a bit overwhelming but last night I cropped a map of the Arnhem suburb of Oosterbeek and the river road to the Arnhem bridge. The British 1st Airborne's Lonsdale force defended this real estate against repeated German attacks after failing to breakthrough to Frost and his men on the bridge.  You can read more about Richard Lonsdale here. Including this quote attributed to a wounded Lonsdale during the battle:

"You know as well as I do there are a lot of bloody Germans coming at us. Well, all we can do is to stay here and hang on in the hope that somebody catches us up. We must fight for our lives and stick together. We've fought the Germans before - in North Africa, Sicily, Italy. They weren't good enough for us then, and they're bloody well not good enough for us now. They're up against the finest soldiers in the world. An hour from now you will take up defensive positions north of the road outside. Make certain you dig in well and that your weapons and ammo are in good order. We are getting short of ammo, so when you shoot you shoot to kill. Good luck to you all."


Cropping a map was not easy.  This section is from the Arnhem map in Highway to the Reich.
Next up, scenario creation.  So more to follow...

Comments

Phil said…
Looking forward to the rest :)
RangerX3X said…
Good luck with this. I look forward to playing it.
Chris said…
Thanks guys. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by how much more complicated the editor for this game is than say the Combat Mission editors. Wow!

Popular posts from this blog

John Tiller's Campaign Series - Buy It Now

Maxwell's Marauders: Find the Observation Post

Edson's Ridge